– Bitcoin mining firm Marathon Digital confirmed that it mined an invalid block during an experiment aimed at optimizing operations.
– The bug originated from the firm’s experimental mining pool and was not an attempt to alter the Bitcoin network.
– Marathon quickly corrected the error once it was noticed.
– The bug was not related to Marathon’s Bitcoin production pool or Bitcoin Core software.
– The incident occurred on September 26th and was attributed to a transaction ordering issue.
– Bitcoin analysts suggested that Marathon should have conducted the experiment on a testnet before attempting it on the mainnet.
– Marathon acknowledged that Bitcoin functioned as designed by excluding the invalid block, highlighting the network’s robust security.
– Marathon’s share price fell 2.91% following the incident.