Our weekly roundup of news from East Asia brings you the most important developments in the industry.
– HTX exchange, formerly known as Huobi Global, has been hacked for the fourth time in two months, resulting in a loss of $30 million. The exchange has promised to compensate for the losses and ensure the safety of user funds.
– Binance, one of the largest crypto exchanges, has pleaded guilty to violating the U.S. Bank Secrecy Act and will pay $4.3 billion in penalties and forfeiture. CEO Changpeng Zhao has also pleaded guilty and stepped down from his position.
– The Bank of Korea is inviting 100,000 citizens to participate in a pilot test of its central bank digital currency (CBDC). The participants will be able to use deposit tokens issued by commercial banks for purchasing goods.
– HTX exchange suffers another hack, losing $30 million.
– Binance pleads guilty to violating U.S. laws and pays $4.3 billion in penalties.
– Bank of Korea invites citizens to test CBDC in a pilot program.