According to CoinGecko, approximately $85 billion worth of cryptocurrency is categorized as “alleged SEC securities.” CoinGecko recently launched an index that tracks the largest crypto tokens considered likely securities by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The index, called “Top Alleged Securities Coins,” ranks these tokens by market capitalization, with BNB, Cardano, Solana, and TRON leading the list. CoinGecko compiled this selection of tokens based on past SEC lawsuits. However, the SEC’s recent lawsuits against Coinbase and Binance have increased the number of tokens it views as securities to 68, while CoinGecko only lists 24. These alleged securities tokens cover around $84.9 billion of the total crypto market capitalization. SEC Chair Gary Gensler has emphasized that the majority of crypto assets should be considered securities, suggesting that most of the 25,500 cryptocurrencies listed on CoinMarketCap would fall under SEC regulation.
– CoinGecko’s index tracks crypto tokens viewed as securities by the SEC.
– The index ranks tokens by market capitalization, with BNB, Cardano, Solana, and TRON at the top.
– The SEC’s recent lawsuits have increased the number of alleged securities tokens to 68.
– These tokens cover approximately $84.9 billion of the total crypto market capitalization.
– SEC Chair Gary Gensler believes that most crypto assets should be considered securities.