Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin is partnering with India-based crypto fund Crypto Relief and Polygon co-founder Sandeep Nailwal to donate $100 million towards COVID-19 research and medical infrastructure development in India. The funds will be disbursed to a Gnosis Safe wallet, with much of the research focusing on COVID-19 airborne transmission and long COVID. Buterin previously donated $5 million worth of Ether to “Aid for Ukraine” in April 2022. Crypto Relief has raised $473 million in funds as of November 26, 2023.
– Buterin and Nailwal will receive $90 million in USD Coin from Crypto Relief, with Buterin providing an additional $10 million out of his own pocket.
– The first installment of the donation went towards emergency humanitarian relief in India.
– Buterin believes that COVID-19 and future pandemics will continue to be a large risk in the 21st century, requiring a global solution that combines scientific innovation and on-the-ground implementation.
– The research will focus on improving medical equipment to tackle COVID-19 airborne transmission, as well as long COVID.
– The donation will be disbursed to a Gnosis Safe wallet.
– Crypto Relief has raised $473 million in funds as of November 26, 2023.